Vegetable cutlet is a popular Indian snack made with a mixture of boiled vegetables, mashed potatoes, and a variety of spices. The mixture is then shaped into small patties, coated with bread crumbs, and fried until crispy.
The filling for vegetable cutlets typically includes a combination of boiled potatoes, carrots, peas, beans, and other vegetables, as well as onions, ginger, garlic, and green chillies. The vegetables are cooked and mashed together, then mixed with spices such as garam masala, coriander powder, and cumin powder. The mixture is then shaped into small patties, coated in bread crumbs, and fried until golden brown and crispy.
Vegetable cutlets are a popular street food in India and are often served with chutneys or ketchup. They are also commonly served as an appetizer or snack during parties and gatherings. Vegetable cutlets are a great way to incorporate vegetables into your diet and are enjoyed by both adults and children alike. Commonly this dish can also be paired with Sri Lankan Seeni Sambol Buns.
Ingredient needed for Vegetable Cutlet:
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, beans, corn), boiled and mashed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- Oil for frying
Instructions to prepare Vegetable Cutlet:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the mashed potatoes and mixed vegetables. Mix well.
- In a pan, heat some oil and sauté the chopped onions until they turn translucent. Add the ginger paste, garlic paste, and green chillies, and sauté for another minute.
- Add the garam masala powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add the sautéed mixture to the mixing bowl with the mashed vegetables. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture into equal-sized portions and shape them into small patties.
- Roll the patties in bread crumbs until they are coated on all sides.
- Heat oil in a pan and shallow-fry the cutlets until they turn golden brown and crispy on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and place them on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney.
Your delicious and crispy vegetable cutlets are now ready to be enjoyed!
Interested in more similar recipes? Check our our latest blog posts.