Kerala Parotta Recipe
Kerala Parotta is a traditional Indian flatbread that’s best suited for curries. It’s easy to prepare in a conventional manner. This dish is often paired with daal.
Rate Course: Main Course
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 4 people
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Egg
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ¼ cup Milk (warm)
- Ghee for frying
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, egg, and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Make a soft dough using water.
- Knead the dough for 5-6 minutes until it becomes soft.
- Cover and keep the dough aside for 20 minutes.
- Knead it again for 3-4 minutes.
- Cover and keep aside for another 20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 pieces.
- Make small balls from each piece.
- Roll the ball to make a 6-7 inch circle.
- Apply oil generously over the rolled dough.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into thin stripes.
- Gather the strips together and roll to make a spiral.
- Dust and roll the paratha to make a 7-8 inch disc.
- Heat a griddle.
- Transfer the paratha to the hot griddle.
- Cook till brown spots appear on the lower side.
- Flip the paratha.
- Apply ghee on both sides and cook till brown spots darken.
- Apply little pressure while cooking using the back of a ladle.
- Remove the paratha from the griddle.
- Press from both sides to open the layers
- Serve hot with any curry based dish.
If you are vegetarian, use a quarter cup of yoghurt instead.
I’ve made this dish using all-purpose flour instead of spelt flour, which is how it’s traditionally made. However, you may use 1:1 all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour instead.
Instead of oil, you may use butter or ghee to prepare the parotta. They typically utilize dalda in restaurants and roadside eateries, but because it is not good for your health, I do not recommend using it.
Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 42mg | Sodium: 605mg | Potassium: 136mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 84IU | Calcium: 37mg | Iron: 5mg