Get ready to fall in love with Coconut Rolls. These sweet coconut-flavoured rolls are amazingly delicious. It was love at first bite!
SERVINGS – 12
Prep Time – 2 HOURS 30 MINUTES
Cook Time – 25 MINUTES
Total Time – 2 HOURS 55 MINUTES
- 1 13.5 oz can unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups melted butter
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 7 1/2 + cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar or sugar crystals optional
- Heat the coconut milk in a microwave-safe dish until just warm to the touch, about 45 seconds.
- Pour into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add in yeast, sugar, salt, egg yolks, butter, coconut extract and 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour. Start mixing at a low speed until just combined.
- Add in the remaining 1 cup flour and continue mixing until you have a solid dough ball that doesn’t stick to your hands. If you need to, add additional flour 1/2 cup at a time until the right consistency is reached.
- Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl. Cover and let rise for 2 hours.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured clean countertop. Roll into a large rectangle, about 1.2 inches thick. Slice into 12 long strips.
- Roll each strip to form a spiral rolled dough. Place onto 2 lightly greased baking sheets. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar crystals if using.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are a light golden brown.
Variation: Spread 1/2 cup softened coconut oil over the dough before rolling it into a large rectangle. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup brown sugar. Combine the sugar and oil using a butter knife and spread out. Continue cutting the mixture into thin strips and wrapping them up in rolls.