Drumstick moringa leaves thoran
Drumstick or Moringa leaves thoran is a popular South Indian dish made with drumstick leaves (Moringa oleifera) that are finely chopped and cooked with grated coconut, spices, and sometimes lentils or dal.
To prepare the dish, the drumstick leaves are washed and finely chopped, then mixed with grated coconut, chopped onions, green chilies, and some spices such as turmeric powder, cumin seeds, and mustard seeds. The mixture is then cooked on a stovetop until the leaves are tender and the flavors have blended together.
Thorans are typically served as a side dish with rice, sambar, or other South Indian curries. They are known for their simple preparation and fresh, healthy ingredients, making them a popular choice for vegetarians and vegans. Drumstick leaves are also highly nutritious, containing high levels of vitamins and minerals, making this dish not only tasty but also a healthy addition to any meal.
Ingredients You Will Need To Have To Prepare the Moringa Leave Thoran :
- 2 cups drumstick leaves, washed and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Salt to taste
Instructions to making the Moringa Leaves Thoran:
- In a pan, heat the coconut oil and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Let them splutter for a few seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and green chillies, and sauté until the onions become translucent.
- Add the chopped drumstick leaves and mix well.
- Add turmeric powder and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add grated coconut and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the drumstick leaves are cooked and tender.
- Once the leaves are cooked, remove the lid and let it cook on medium heat for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the excess moisture has evaporated.
- Serve hot with rice and your favorite South Indian curry.
Enjoy your delicious and nutritious Drumstick Moringa Leaves Thoran!
Have plans to offer this on your FnB establishment’s menu and need some extra help adapting it? Check out our F&B consulting services.