Almond London is a popular treat in Malaysia. They’re almond snacks coated with delicious chocolate and topped with almond nibs, which are crunchy and milky at the same time. What’s not to love about that?
Servings: 70 cookies
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour (100 gr)
- 1 cup cornflour (125 gr)
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- ½ cup unsalted butter, plus 1 tablespoon more (125 gr)
- ⅔ cup icing sugar (75 gr)
- 2 tablespoon powdered milk
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cornflakes (25 gr)
- 70 toasted whole almonds, approx. 3 oz or 85 gr
The Chocolate Coating
- 14 oz chocolate (400 gr), minimum 55% cocoa
- ½ tablespoon unsalted butter (8 gr)
- almond nibs as needed
- In a mixing basin, whisk together the all-purpose flour, rice flour and cornflour. Set it aside for now.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter and icing sugar. Stir until thoroughly combined. Add the powdered milk and stir just to combine once more. In a mixing cup, use an electric mixer to beat together egg yolks, vanilla extract, and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and cornflakes and mix well. Add the blended cornflakes to the mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Reduce mixer speed while gradually adding in the flour mixture, just until combined. When not in use, form the dough into a ball and cover with cling film.
- Take a piece of dough and flatten it somewhat. One almond should be placed in the centre and covered with the dough. Shape each oval log into a more or less thumb-sized oval shape by repeating for the rest of the dough. Place them on a baking sheet, topped with another baking sheet.
- Start by brushing the walnut halves with melted butter and placing them on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the bottom edges are golden brown and they’re completely cooked. Allow cooling completely on a rack, around 40 minutes.
The Chocolate Coating
- Using the double boiler method, melt the chocolate and butter.
- Take a few cooled cookies, melt them in the microwave for about 30 seconds, and then spoon the chocolate over them. Coat them well with chocolate and place them in a small cupcake paper, pushing down on one end. Sprinkle some almond nibs on top once the chocolate has hardened sufficiently. SERVING SUGGESTIONS