Bring the popular Tamil street food to your own kitchen with this simple, yet delicious Kothu Parotta recipe with step-by-step photos. Easy homemade Veg/Egg Kothu Parotta recipe!
How To Make Kothu Parotta
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: Tamilnadu Recipes
Keyword: Quick Recipes, Street Food Recipes
Servings: 2 people
Calories per Serving: 160kcal
- Thick Bottomed Kadai/Fry Pan
1 cup = 250ml, 1 tablespoon = 15ml, 1 teaspoon = 5ml
- 3 Parotta recipe link in steps below
- 2 Medium Onions Finely Chopped
- 2 Medium Tomatoes Finely Chopped
- 1 teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 -2 Green Chillies Slit
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- ½ tablespoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt as needed
- Few Fresh Curry Leaves
- Few Fresh Coriander Leaves Finely Chopped
- In a pan heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add ½ teaspoon each of mustard seeds and fennel seeds. As they splutter, add fresh curry leaves and slit green chillies.
- Next, add 2 medium onions finely chopped. Fry until translucent.
- Add 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste and fry for 2-3 mins until there is no raw smell.
- Now add 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped. Cook them until mushy.
- Add all the spice powders – ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ tablespoon Kashmiri red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
- Cook all the spice powders for 3-4 mins on low flame.
- Meanwhile, scramble/chop 3 parottas using a tumbler with sharp edges or using a spatula with sharp edges.
- Alternatively, you can also cut it into small strips using a knife.
- Now add the salt required for the masala. Mix well.
- Add the chopped parotta pieces into the pan.
- Mix well quickly making sure each piece is coated in the masala.
- Finally, add finely chopped coriander leaves. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot immediately with onion raita and salna.