Rich Chocolate Sponge Cake
Our chocolate sponge cake is mouthwateringly rich and indulgent.
This Rich Chocolate Sponge Cake is made with a rich chocolate-infused sponge and a thick chocolate icing that melts in the mouth. This rich cake serves eight and takes only 30 minutes to bake. Serve it with plenty of cream and fresh berries for a special treat.Looking for similar British sweet treats? Check out Almond London.
For The Rich Chocolate Sponge Cake :
* 175g (6oz) butter, at room temperature
* 3 eggs, at room temperature
* 175g (6oz) caster sugar
* 175g (6oz) self-raising flour
* 50g (2oz) coca powder
* 1tsp baking powder
* 1/2tsp vanilla extract
For The Chocolate Icing:
* 200g (8oz) icing sugar
* 50g (2oz) cocoa powder
* 200g (8oz) butter
* 1tbsp milk
* 1tsp vanilla extract
For A Cream And Fruit Filling (Optional):
* 125ml whipping cream
* 175g raspberries or strawberries
1. Make a 20cm (8in) round or square cake tin by greasing it and hanging with greaseproof paper.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 170°C (325°F, gas mark3).
3. In a large bowl, beat the sugar and butter until light and pale. Continue to beat while adding the eggs one at a time (about 5 minutes with an electric mixer.)
4. Sift the flour and set it aside. Gently fold half of the flour into the ingredients until combined. Fold in the remaining flour, as well as the cocoa powder and baking powder, once everything is smooth. Stir in 1 tablespoon vanilla extract.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin.
6. Bake the Rich Chocolate Sponge Cake for about 30-35 minutes, or until a cake skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
7. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then turn out onto a wire rack. Remove the greaseproof paper before serving.
8. Turn the chocolate sponge cake upside down so that the top becomes the bottom. Cut it lengthwise and fill it with whipped cream and fruit, such as raspberries or strawberries. You may add additional fruit to the top of your creation.
9. If that isn’t exciting enough for you, check out our detailed recipe on how to make the most of every chocolate bar. Or, if you’re a die-hard chocoholic, try our fast, chocolate icing. Using an electric whisk, combine all of the ingredients until they are evenly combined and smooth. Decorate with raspberries
Top tips for making a Rich Chocolate Sponge Cake
How to decorate a Rich Chocolate Sponge Cake
To make this chocolate sponge cake look more appealing, simply spoon the chocolate icing over it and smooth it out with a palette knife for a rough finish. You may add colourful sprinkles, fresh fruit such as strawberries or raspberries, and icing sugar to this cake for a special event. If you dislike the chocolate icing, try Nutella or chocolate spread instead. Alternatively, a decadent chocolate ganache cake is an option.
What can you put in the middle of a Rich Chocolate Sponge Cake?
If you’d rather go with something different, strawberry, blackberry, or raspberry jam would also work well in place of the chocolate sponges. For a dessert cake, you may whip fresh cream until light and fluffy instead. You can use Nutella or peanut butter to fill your chocolate sponge cake, just as you could with the orange one.
Interested in trying out more similar recipes? Check out our blog.